Opportunity of the Week @ Love to Learn
This week's featured volunteer opportunity is:
Do you love to learn? Can you motivate others? Join us to increase and improve the learning of young people from refugee backgrounds. We will match you with a young person aged 5-16 to help them and their parents engage with homework once a week in their home. You can be placed with a newly arrived child, or with a child who has been in the UK a while but who is at a lower level than their peers. We especially target those who have had little or no prior education or those working at D/C grades at GCSE level.
We ask you to commit to one hour a week for a minimum of 6 months, and where you are working with a GCSE student, to commit to continue till the exam period is over.
You will be amazed to see how the child grows in confidence, and watch the parents' pleasure to see them making progress. This is a rewarding, fun and challenging role!
Skills & Qualifications Required
- A desire to stretch the expectations and achievements of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Good rapport with children and young people
- Familiarity with study skills/problem solving approaches to working
- A sensitivity to other cultures and an ability to communicate successfully across cultures
- Reliability. Regular commitment is crucial
- A level of flexibility in working around family's timetables
- An ability to engage with the family around educational issues
- A friendly, helpful, anti-discriminatory and enthusiastic approach
Already registered with us? E-mail us or call us on 0300 365 9950 to get involved.