Opportunity of the Day @ SHARE Community
Today's featured volunteer opportunity is:
Life Skills Teaching Assistant Volunteer, SHARE Community
Are you looking for an opportunity to gain valuable experience in supporting people with disabilities? Would you like to help our students increase their confidence to live independently? Life Skills is one of most popular classes. We cover topics such as learning about the local area, how to travel safely around London, employability, health, money, and managing personal relationships. We also run a music group on Wednesdays, which is very well attended and includes opportunities to take part in workshops led by the London Symphony Orchestra. Our students in life skills welcome volunteers into their lessons with open arms, and we can guarantee you'll get a real buzz from doing such a rewarding role.
Benefits to the Volunteer
In return for you giving up your time for us, we will fully support you in your role - we provide lunch, reasonable travel expenses and a reference. We hope you will gain both soft and hard skills from your time with us. Developing your communication, initiative and skills in training. It'll also look good on your CV!
Skills & Qualifications Required
- Good standard of Literacy and Numeracy level 2 (GCSE grade C or equivalent).
- Knowledge of basic health and safety.
- A good understanding of equal opportunities or a willingness to learn.
- BSL would be advantageous.
- Willingness to undertake training as appropriate to enable you to fulfil the role.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to relate positively and in a non-discriminatory way to people at all levels, from a range of backgrounds and communities, with and without disabilities.
- Ability to empathise and work in a sensitive a confidential manner with students.
- A non-judgemental approach.
- An understanding of what it means to have a disability.
- A creative approach to thinking.
- Understanding of confidentiality.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- An interest in teaching.
- A strong commitment to the inclusion of disabled people in all aspects of life, including employment.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
To apply for this opportunity, please complete a registration form.
Already registered with us? E-mail us or call us on 0300 365 9950 to get involved.