Festive Opp of the Week @ Rotary Club of Battersea Park
This week's featured volunteer opportunity is:
Christmas Day Volunteer, Rotary Club of Battersea Park
Why volunteer Christmas Day?
Because of the Rotary Christmas Day Party's popularity we now cater for over 400 elderly guests. With that sort of number we just could not manage by ourselves. Although we do receive help from neighbouring Rotary Clubs in Wandsworth, we rely entirely on the commitment of volunteers. In fact without you being there to help on Christmas Day the Party could not go ahead or be the great success that it is.
So, what would you be asked to do?
Here is a list of some of the things. We don't expect you to turn up everyday - just come along and help where and when you can. That would be great. On Christmas Eve we set up and make sure all is ready for the great day ahead. On Christmas Day we will be sending out 44 buses to pick up our guests, many of whom will be in wheelchairs. Each bus has an escort to help the elderly from their home safely into the bus. If this is a job you would like to do then you must be at the Marquee at 9am on Christmas morning. We take our guests home again in the evening at approximately 4.30pm and escorts are required then too.
Other volunteering jobs include:
- Making fresh sandwiches as a take away supper for our guests.
- Help is needed in the kitchen working with the chefs to prepare lunch.
- Bring good cheer with a happy 'Christmas-y' welcome when the guests arrive.
- Serve tea and coffee and, later on, sherry before lunch.
- Help serve lunch - no joke when 400+ full Christmas dinners need to arrive on the table at the same time hot and delicious.
- Serve a glass or two of wine with lunch.
- Help with the washing-up
Benefits to the Volunteer
Have lunch yourself - the full works and its absolutely free (well, it is your Christmas Day too!).
Skills & Qualifications Required
- Lots of enthusiasm and willingness to help!
Already registered with us? E-mail us or call us on 0300 365 9950 to get involved.