Opportunity of the Week @ Love to Learn
This week's featured volunteer opportunity is:
Volunteer Learning Mentor, Love to Learn
Do you love to learn? Can you motivate others? Join us to increase and improve the learning of young people from refugee backgrounds. We will match you with a young person aged 5-18 to help them with homework once a week in their home. You can be placed with a newly arrived young person, or with a child who has been in the UK a while but who is at a lower level than their peers. We especially target those who have had little or no prior education.
You will be amazed to see how the young person grows in confidence, and join the parents' pleasure in seeing them making progress. This is a rewarding, fun and challenging role!
Benefits to the Volunteer
You will gain skills in communication and how to develop a young person's ability to learn independently. You will develop your knowledge of different cultures and enjoy forming new relationships. Our training is thorough and responsive to your individual needs.
Some of our volunteers use the opportunity to see if they are interested in teaching or working with young people, some to be involved in their local community in a way that their job doesn't allow. Others just enjoy getting to know people, or have their own experiences of travel or migration and want to help those who are newly arrived.
Some comments from past volunteers:
- "It is rewarding, fun and encouraging getting to know a happy family living in my area."
- "Seeing the child progress, in ability and confidence, was enormously rewarding."
- "The training and support offered is one of the best parts of the scheme, improving my confidence and promoting a sense of team work."
Skills & Qualifications Required
- A sensitivity to other cultures and an ability to communicate successfully across cultures. Reliability. Regular commitment is crucial.
- A level of flexibility in working around family's timetables.
- Good rapport with young people.
- A friendly, helpful and enthusiastic approach.
- Previous experience of working with refugees or children.
- An interest in and knowledge of any of the following: the English education system, maths, science, games, arts, the local area/ environment.
To apply for this opportunity, please complete a registration form.
Already registered with us? E-mail us or call us on 0300 365 9950 to get involved.