Opportunity of the Week @ SOVA
This week's featured volunteer opportunity is:
Volunteer Mentor, SOVA (SOVA Support Link)
Sova Support Link are recruiting adult volunteers to support adult ex-offenders with lifelong psychological needs reintegrate successfully into the community across London.
Benefits to the Volunteer
As a volunteer you will undergo accredited training and ongoing training and supervision to support you in your role.
As part of the selection and recruitment process individuals are offered accredited training to enable them to carry out their role as a volunteer mentor. Safeguarding is an essential part of the Sova mentor training and is delivered alongside the above specific units. Attending the Safeguarding training is mandatory to becoming a Sova volunteer mentor. Ongoing training and support is provided regularly to volunteer mentors to provide opportunities for development.
Skills & Qualifications Required
Individuals applying to become a Sova volunteer mentor will be required to demonstrate ability in the following areas:
- Understanding the role of volunteers
- Reliability and commitment
- Declaration of criminal record
- Ability to hold confidential information
- Personal approach
- Motivation to volunteer
- Self awareness
- Ability to accept failure
- Ability to give support
- Confidence and ability to deal with difficult situations
- Understanding personal boundaries
- Perceptions, assumptions and attitudes regarding crime and offenders
- Ability to work in a non-discriminatory way
- Respect for other people's point of view
- Effective listener
- Appropriate non-verbal communication
- Adequate verbal communication
You will need to be able to give 5 hours per week for a 12 months period.
It is preferable that volunteers reside in the London area.
To apply for this opportunity, please complete a registration form.
Already registered with us? E-mail us or call us on 0300 365 9950 to get involved.