Opportunity of the Week @ National Army Museum
This week's featured volunteer opportunity is:
Museum Collections Care Volunteer, National Army Museum
The National Army Museum is completely redeveloping its main Chelsea site for the first time since opening in 1971. A unique opportunity now exists to assist the movement of the Museum's stores and displays at Chelsea comprising over 500,000 items.
To offer volunteers a unique opportunity to play a key role while gaining experience working with a national museum collection of historic importance.
- Physical handling of collections objects, including packing.
- Bar-coding and repacking objects.
- Listing and possibly some cataloguing of objects (training will be provided).
- Updating object records on computer.
- Full in-house training will be provided, including site induction; health and safety issues such as ladder training; museum object manual handling; equal opportunities, specific computer applications if required.
- Expenses: reasonable out of pocket travel expenses to and from place of work, and sandwich lunch will be provided.
- Volunteers' Handbook with helpful information.
- Regular feedback meetings with staff and the volunteer steering group.
- To protect from dust and dirt, overalls and nitrile gloves are provided, as necessary.
- Volunteers will work in a team with a curator, processing the artefacts, to the set standards.
- This may entail standing or limited moving around for periods of time, and lifting boxes.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Becoming part of a friendly and dedicated team.
- Gain practical knowledge of Collections Management within UK Museums and institutions.
- Contribute to the long-term preservation of the nation's heritage, essential to any museum.
Skills & Qualifications Required
- Good general standard of English literacy and numeracy.
- Happy to work as a team member and have a willingness to learn.
- Ability to work to a consistent pattern of tasks.
- General ICT skills (word-processing, database, spread-sheet programmes).
- General interest in British history.
To apply for this opportunity, please complete a registration form.
Already registered with us? E-mail us or call us on 0300 365 9950 to get involved.