Opportunity of the Week @ Beanstalk
This week's featured volunteer opportunity is:
Reading Helper For Children, Beanstalk
One out of five children in this country don't reach the expected reading age of an 11yr old, if you volunteer with us you will have the chance to give the gift of reading to a child. We will train and fully support you throughout your time with us. After initial training you would be placed in a local primary school where you would see three children on an individual basis twice weekly for 1.5 hrs each time. Through listening to the children reading and playing games we have found that our volunteers can make a huge difference to the children they are supporting. The sessions are always fun for both the children and the volunteers and help to inspire a love of books and reading.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Hugely rewarding
- 9hrs of initial training.
- Follow up further development training
- Support visits
- Meetings with other reading helpers to enhance skills
Skills & Qualifications Required
- Literate and able to read
- Ability to relate to children in a non-judgmental way
- Good verbal communication skills
- Approachable at all levels, from a child to the Head Teacher
- Able to commit to a minimum of a year and provide regular support to a local school both approach and time
- Commitment to Beanstalk's aims
Already registered with us? E-mail us or call us on 0300 365 9950 to get involved.