Volunteer opportunity - Activity Volunteer
Activity Volunteer with Balham Gateway Club
Balham Gateway is a social club for adults with learning disabilities. We meet Monday evenings 7:15 to 9:15 pm. Volunteers socialise with club members and can be involved in any of the activities taking place that night.
- Painting cookery
- Bingo football
- Jigsaws cricket
- Board games dancing
- Trips to the pub arts and crafts
- Board games sewing
- Quizzes skittles
Any special skills/talents that volunteers can bring to the club are very welcome but not essential. This is an excellent, informal opportunity to gain experience of engaging with and supporting people with learning disabilities. Volunteers are not expected to attend every week but a couple of times a month would be wonderful.
Benefits to the volunteer:
- Experience of working with, engaging and supporting people with both learning and physical difficulties in various creative ways.
- Chance to learn about the broad spectrum of learning disabilities.
- Development of communication skills in various situations.
- Opportunity to learn about the social and emotional challenges of living with a learning difficulty.
- Experience of developing skills within a team of accomplished volunteers.
- A fun and challenging introduction to social care in a supportive environment and looks great on your CV!
Skills and qualifications:
- Common sense and enthusiasm to socialise and work with Balham Gateway Club members.
- Ability to show respect for everyone at the club and to be non-judgemental.
- Some experience or understanding of some of the needs of people with learning disabilities is useful but not essential.
If you are interested, get in touch directly with Balham Gateway Club:
Tel: 020 8658 1105 / 07799 290 981